Harley-Davidson® just launched two brand-new models to their Sportster® line-up.
Harley-Davidson® just launched two brand-new models to their Sportster® line-up. The models are Forty-Eight® Special and The Iron 1200™. The original Sportster® was launched in 1957, now 60 years later the Motor Company is using the slogan “Old School meets New School.” I personally see these two models as a welcome addition to attract younger riders.
Harley is on a mission to launch 100 models and 2 million riders in the next 10 years. The only way to attract new riders to the brand is to give them entry level PREMIUM product and I think these two Sportsters fit the bill.
Let’s take a look at the two new motorcycles. The first one we’ll look at is the Iron 1200™. In 2008, The Iron 883™ was launched. I recorded a video on that motorcycle that can be found here.
The Iron 1200™ is described as an “urban brawler focused on power and new styling to set it apart from the past.” As you can see from the pictures, there have been some upgrades from the 883 model to the 1200 model.
Some of the features include the following:
- Evolution® 1200 engine for a stronger performance across the RPM range, harder acceleration from stops and more mid-range for out-running urban traffic, a more exciting ride.
- New powertrain styling highlights the V-Twin engine shape with black upper and lower rocker boxes, exhaust and muffler shields, timer, primary and derby cover and chrome pushrod tubes and tappet covers.
- Fresh garage-built chopper styling, including:
- gloss black speed screen
- satin-black Mini Ape handle bar
- Café Solo Seat
- black 9-Spoke wheels
- chopped rear fender, mid-mount controls, round stamped-steel air cleaner cover, and fork gaiters
- carried classic ’70s throwback graphics
The Iron 1200 is affordably priced, and available in three color options: $9,999 (MSRP) for Vivid Black and $10,349 (MSRP) for Twisted Cherry or Billiard White. I am attracted to the price tag, just $1 shy of $10,000 for a 1200 CC model Harley-Davidson®. That’s pretty impressive.
There is special promotion going on that we’ll get to just as soon as we take a look at the Forty-Eight® Special that should appeal to those getting into the sport of motorcycling.
It is described as “a unique celebration of chrome and retro graphics on two wheels.” Even though I haven’t seen this bike in person, I’m excited by what I see in the pictures. It has a nice 70’s theme that could become very popular with Harley-Davidson®’s targeted demographic.
The features of the The Forty-Eight® Special include:
- Evolution® 1200 engine with powertrain styling features to fit the retro throw-back vibe, including:
- black upper and chrome lower rocker boxes
- chrome exhaust shields
- chrome solid muffler shields (no slots) over black mufflers
- chrome primary, inspection and derby covers
- chrome pushrod tubes and tappet covers highlighting the V-Twin engine shape
- Fresh styling and improved rider posture:
- gloss-black Tallboy® handlebars for a “fist in the wind” attitude adjustment*
- black split 9-spoke cast aluminum wheels
- massive 130mm front tire, solo seat, chopped rear fender, forward controls, round stamped-steel air cleaner cover carries over from Forty-Eight® model.
- Fuel tank with throwback horizontal stripe graphics
Starting at $11,299 (MSRP) for Vivid Black and $11,649 (MSRP) Wicked Red or Billiard White, the new Forty-Eight Special offers dark custom style with a bold muscular attitude.
In addition to the two new models, Harley-Davidson® launched a program called the “Freedom Promise.” It should take the hesitation out of someone who is not sure if they want to purchase an entry-level motorcycle over a Softail® or Touring Model. We all know that once you “ride off the lot” the value of your motorcycle goes down.
This is not the case with the Freedom Promise promotion going on right now. Customers that purchase an eligible Harley-Davidson® Sportster® or Street® motorcycle Feb. 21 through Aug. 31, 2018, will receive a trade-in value equal to the original purchase price when they trade-up to a new eligible Harley-Davidson® motorcycle within one year of the purchase date. To check all the eligibility restrictions can click here or call 412-464-9453 and ask for anyone in sales.
While the Freedom Promise promotion is going on at the time of this publication, the two new models are not slated to hit dealer showrooms until mid-March. As soon as one arrives at Hot Metal Harley-Davidson® we will post on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to let our customers know. If you think you may be interested in one of these two new motorcycles, please contact sales to get your name on a list, as I suspect production for the remainder of the model year will be limited.
When my general manager called me last night with the news of the new model launch I was skeptical until I saw the pictures and the specs today. Harley-Davidson® hit the ball out of the park on this announcement and I can’t wait to take one for a demo ride when it hits the dealership later next month.